No this isn’t chicken pot pie. This is a traditional southern chicken pie. Once you try this you’ll not want to settle for chicken pot pie again. I remember, as a child, going to the country church for dinner on the grounds. it was usually a singing or “Decoration Day”. All the families came together, each bringing something special. My grandmother always made a chicken pie. Most of the time it was in a big dishpan. I decided to try to re-create her specialty.
I use the this Perfect Pie Crust for the pastry shell. It makes 2 10 inch shells. Because I use a small dish pan I use 2/3 of the recipe for the bottom and the remaining for the top.
This recipe can also be made in smaller individual ramekins.
Southern Chicken Pie
- Yield: 1 Pie (12-15 Servings)
- Ready In:
You can substitute breasts, legs, thighs about any cut up chicken for the whole hen.
- 1 large hen cooked, skinned & cut up in large pieces
- 8 eggs hard boiled & sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock I use the broth from cooking the hen
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 pastry shells
- 2-3 Tbsp flour all purpose
- line the bottom of a dishpan, casserole dish with the bottom pastry shell.
- melt 1/2 stick of butter in a skillet. put the flour in with the butter and stir until thickened. Like making a gravy.
- start pouring the chicken stock in little by little, stirring constantly. Add the cream, stirring constantly. Heating until slightly thickened.
- line the bottom of the pastry shell with a layer of chicken, then a layer of sliced eggs. pour a little of the gravy over those layers.
- repeat the chicken/egg layers and pour gravy over it.
- dot with butter (reserving a small amount of butter.
- place the top pastry shell over the top. Moisten the edges with a little water and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Melt the remaining butter and lightly brush the top shell with the butter. place a few slits in the top crust (to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie on the bottom rack of a 425 degree pre-heated oven. After 4-5 minutes reduce the temp to 400 degrees and continue cooking for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress